about meotter's epilepsyprayer is powermovie mondayjuice plus+awards

Sunday, June 15, 2008

salvation sunday- take care of you

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.

~Matthew 11:28-30 The Message

When we flew to Baltimore, we watched the "this is how you buckle your seat belt yatta yatta yatta" before take-off. When it explains how to use the oxygen masks, it says to put yours on first before assisting others, and shows a picture of a mom putting hers on and then helping her daughter. I look at Hubby. Yeah right. Isn't it the motherly instinct to first help her child?

Ironically, The Rev spoke exactly about that at church. His overall point was, "If you yourself can't breathe, how do you expect to help someone else breathe?"

Point taken. (But I still would put my child's oxygen mask on first.) Many times we as mothers are so busy taking care of others that we forget to take care of ourselves. You all know what I'm talking about. It's so important we pay attention to that and take care of ourselves in order to effectively take care of the people we care for.

The same goes for our spiritual selves. As Christians, how can we help others in need when we ourselves are spiritually lacking? This goes back to last week's salvation sunday, if we put God first, everything else will fall into place. In other words, when we take care of ourselves by spending time with God, we will be able to take of others as well.

Have a great week and God bless!

1 cleansing comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy moly I needed that. I was just telling my husband during our "discussion" tonight that I felt like I have nothing left to give out. Like everyone around me is always taking and I'm getting nothing poured back in me. Maybe I've let myself become empty. Thank for that post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails